So today and yesterday I have been cooking and baking for our dinners and lunches. A couple of new recipes were tried and one classic (that granny always spoiled us with).
The first recipe I made was one for the lunch boxes, I am going to call them Pizza Swirls. They are like a puff pastry roulade filled with cheese, ham, dried herbs, fried onions and pizza sauce. Great for snacks or part of lunch boxes. If you wish to make these you will need:
- One packet of ready made puff pastry (I do not make puff!)
- 75g pizza sauce (I used Dolmio)
- 75g grated cheese
- 6 slices ham
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 thinly sliced onion (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter (optional – if adding onions)
- Preheat oven to 200 centigrade.
- Fry the onion in the butter for 7-10 mins until soft. Leave to cool. Roll out pastry into a rectangular shape and spread the pizza sauce out thinly leaving a 2 cm gap round the edges.
- Lay out the sliced ham to cover the pastry, add the cheese on top then the onions (make sure they are cool),
- Roll into a roulade shape from one long end to another. Brush egg on the edge to help the closing and sticking together.
- Cut into 1 inch slices. Lay on baking tray (do not put too close together so all pastry cooks evenly) and sprinkle herbs on top. Cook for 12-14 mins or until golden brown.
Broccoli Tortilla Tart
I picked up this recipe in a Tesco store a few weeks back and couldn’t wait to try it out. We had it for dinner last night, and we are going to have it again tonight. It looks and tastes delicious!
Recipe can be found here.
This is the recipe our granny used to make with us. My brother always liked the currants, I liked glace cherries in mine. She used to make a batch of each (probably so we wouldn’t bicker!)
They are delicious and will be featured in the lunch boxes this week, since last weeks fruit cake has almost gone! I always make mine by eye but if you want to make them this recipe is good with or without the icing. Just add a handful of your favourite dried fruit. I have added currants since, like my brother, the boyfriend prefers currants too.